Need to use up my Willamette, what to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gussymo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have pound of Willamette hops from last year and can't decide what to make with them. Anybody have a suggestion for a brew that uses a lot of Willamette?

I use a bunch of Willamette in my Brown Ale. As a Fuggle cultivar, it's goes nicely with just about any beer. It has enough florals to be a pleasing aroma hop, but also imparts some earthy flavors and bitterness with a 30 minute addition. In an 11 gallon batch of my brown I'll use 2oz @ 60m, 1oz @ 30m, and 2oz @ 5 minutes.

I used willamette in my first 6 brews all by itself and they were delicious. Stout gets nice bittering from it, Amber tastes good with it's aroma to balance the sweetness, and I just made a light rye session beer that used it. All in all, I think that it is a very useful hop!

Thanks! That brown ale hop schedule sounds good. Amber, Bitter, stout, porter, hmmmm. I already have a bunch of amber, stout and porter kegged up so maybe the brown or the bitter may be my next batch. Thanks again.

Willamette is one of the more versatile hops. Great for every thing from APAs to English ales to stouts and porters. So use it for anything.

Craig

Stouts, Ambers, Red Ales, and pretty much anything British.

As long as you don't need a citrus hop flavor/aroma, you can brew pretty much any Ale.

Leave some out in the garage for a time and you can make a lambic. :)

Back