Gewurztra-Meader Pyment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Well decided to take a chance with this, it seems to be fermenting nicely around 73-74 although I'd like it a little lower. The smell is really nice in the bucket, but the airlock smells like baker's yeast rising.

5 gal batch

7 lbs honey (5lbs wildflower, 2 lbs Amber blend)
60 oz Golden brand dried Tunisian Dates
30 oz Krinos brand dried Figs
1 46oz can Alexander's Gewurztraminer concentrate
1 Tbl Acid Blend
3/4 Tbl yeast nutrient
Lavlin d-47

Steeped all dried fruits in about 2 quarts of water with the 2lbs of honey (it had solidified a little) then mixed everything with cool water. Rehydrated yeast in diluted must for 20 minutes and pitched at around 74 degrees.

OG was 1.090, the first 24 hours was good but then it took off like a rocket at about 30 hours and I had to through a blow off tube on it or risk the volcano.

I'm hoping to get this to about 3.5% residual sugar. It should have a good amount of body to it. I'm hoping the honey, dates and Gewurz all work together to play nice with flavors and aromas.

Besides trying to stay close to 70 degrees any ideas on maximizing aroma? Probably less likely with concentrate anyway?

Reserved about 1.25 cup of Alexanders concentrate(64 Brix) to backsweeten with, should I put any k-meta or preservative in it while in the fridge? Based on my calculations that should get me about 220g of sugar, so maybe half my RS?

Well, as expected nothing works out perfectly. When I left for work yesterday I had a blow off tube attached for anticipated bubbles and the temp had been holding at 73, but when I got home it was up to 78, so I'm guessing I just lost some character right there, but we'll see. Fermentation has slowed and it's in an insulated area with a couple of bottles of ice near it.

Back