New Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par383

Reaction score
I'm new to lambics...I just brewed a lambic for my wife on Saturday, and at this stage, (primary fermenter) it's just any typical beer. I'm using normal yeast.

The Lindemanns Framboise clone in the Clone Wars book calls for the Wyeast Lambic Yeast blend in the secondary. It does warn to not re-use any equipment except for sour beers in the future. I get that. But it specifically said don't re-use your "Plastic" equipment. Can I re-use my glass carboy, or should I just get a 5-gallon bucket for the secondary?

Yes you can sanitize the glass.

The issue is the yeast and other bugs used in sours can be very difficult to kill. This will mean you might wind up with everything being sour. So just be careful.

Your glass carboy will be able to be re-used but it will be used for 1-3 years. So I would recommend getting a Better Bottle. I have had success and so have others with bulk aging sours in these. The Better Bottle will then be only for sours. Also the oxygen permeability of the Better Bottles seem to work well for long aging beers with bugs.

I wash every thing in the dish washer from time to time on the sanitize cycle. All the sour and funky plastic parts and tubes are used only on sours, but I still run them through the sani cycle.

BW

Back