New to the board: Shared experiences so far.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuRRiC4Ne

Reaction score
Hello everyone :) My real name is Jim and I'm new to the board. I saw a lot of info that is very helpful on here and I feel like I can contribute aswell. I work in the field of Information Technology and love getting my hands dirty on my free time. I have been making beer ever since I was old enough to have a credit card and I ordered that Beer Machine online when I was 18! lol... 11 years later (yeap, I'm 29 now) and here I am. I took a break and wanted to get back into making some bad@ss beer. I have a lot of friends that love my previous stuff and out of 20+ batches I have made, I have only had one failed batch (because I listened to my brothers suggestion on something). Now that I'm back to making some beer, I have decided to take the full approach via kegging equipment and 5 gallon batches (instead of the 2.5 beer machine ones...). This board has been a great resource for me and and I have made 5 very successful batches within the past few months. Some have been through kits, and deviations of them in my own portrait of how they should be. Now I would like to share my own adventures of these and also get feed back from others.

Beers I have made within the past month:
- (Better Brewers Kit) IPA Added 1pound of corn sugar and 1 pound of DME light. Came out to 8.5% and I dry hopped with cascade. (just finished kegging this, it was a big shocker to me and my friends, one of the best IPA’s we have ever had!)

- (Better Brewers Kit) Scotch Ale; added 1 pound of corner, 1 pound of DME amber, extra fuggle hops during the last 30mins of boil. Curing with 1 cup of oak chips that was soaked in 1 cup of Jim Beam Red Stag bourbon whiskey (gives a bourbon casked condition taste). This one is aging still, its still kinda rough.

- (Better Brewers Kit) Oktoberfest; used a different yeast. Went with WLP013 for the malty oak flavors and extended hop flavors. (came out very good! This beer is gone before October could come!)
- Vanilla Black Cheery Stout – My brother is doing this one, but I want to say he used standard stout mix, added vanilla, added about 2 cups of beet sugar. OG was 1.070 I want to say. The first initial taste from the primary were very good. This is currently in the secondary.

- Belgium Tripel Ale (This is my project) I’m gonna make another post about this. It’s my own recipe that I have put together based on others opinions and suggestions. Long story short. OG at 1.082 with WLP500 yeast. Like I said, I’m gonna make a post in the Belgium section today about it. Currently it may come out to around 8 to 8.5%, but I’m leaning torwards 10%... and even a possible Gran Cru style Ale….

Looks like you're off to a great start! When you say the Tripel is your project, did you build the recipe from scratch? Also, are you set up for AG? That's when it really gets fun.

In what sense is the Scotch Ale rough? I have not done a brew with chips or cubes yet, but it's definitely on the books. ...curious about your experience.

Looks like you're off to a great start! When you say the Tripel is your project, did you build the recipe from scratch? Also, are you set up for AG? That's when it really gets fun.

In what sense is the Scotch Ale rough? I have not done a brew with chips or cubes yet, but it's definitely on the books. ...curious about your experience.

The Belgian is going to be a clone of a 2006 Gold Medal winner in the World Beer cup in 2006. I was lucky enough to get the recipe. I converted the recipe over to LME and DME. What's AG? That when you boil the grains? I'm looking to do that next....

What I mean't by rough was, we tasted after 2 weeks and it tasted kinda like sour apple... Or whiskey mash or something... From what I read, you have to let an Scotch Ale age for about 6 weeks to condition out a lot of the unwanted gases and flavors. I tried the beer a few days ago (3 weeks of aging) and it wasn't that bad. It's starting to come around. But with this beer, i think I'm gonna wait until Christmas until I keg it. This Ale is considered a Wee Heavy because of it being a higher gravity, so I decided to add the oak chips to smooth out the beer. When I tasted it, it most definitely had an Oak taste, and I only added a cup.

More to come on the Belgian Tripel. I plan on making a separate post soon on it.

The Belgian is going to be a clone of a 2006 Gold Medal winner in the World Beer cup in 2006. I was lucky enough to get the recipe. I converted the recipe over to LME and DME. What's AG? That when you boil the grains? I'm looking to do that next....

What I mean't by rough was, we tasted after 2 weeks and it tasted kinda like sour apple... Or whiskey mash or something... From what I read, you have to let an Scotch Ale age for about 6 weeks to condition out a lot of the unwanted gases and flavors. I tried the beer a few days ago (3 weeks of aging) and it wasn't that bad. It's starting to come around. But with this beer, i think I'm gonna wait until Christmas until I keg it. This Ale is considered a Wee Heavy because of it being a higher gravity, so I decided to add the oak chips to smooth out the beer. When I tasted it, it most definitely had an Oak taste, and I only added a cup.

More to come on the Belgian Tripel. I plan on making a separate post soon on it.

The Belgian is going to be a clone of a 2006 Gold Medal winner in the World Beer cup in 2006 (Dragonmead Final Absolution). I was lucky enough to get the recipe. I converted the recipe over to LME and DME. What's AG? That when you boil the grains? I'm looking to do that next....

Back