Oxyclean alternative ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablo

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle this weekend so was looking for a good bottle cleaner. As I live in Ireland I can't get Oxyclean. However, I did find a powdered "multi-purpose stain remover with Oxy-action" in a supermarket.

The contents say: ">30% oxygen-based bleaching agent, <5% non-ionic surfactants, anionic surfactants, protease enzyme."

It can be diluted in water to soak clothes.

Does anyone know if this is the same as Oxyclean ?

I'm getting ready to bottle this weekend so was looking for a good bottle cleaner. As I live in Ireland I can't get Oxyclean. However, I did find a powdered "multi-purpose stain remover with Oxy-action" in a supermarket.

The contents say: ">30% oxygen-based bleaching agent, <5% non-ionic surfactants, anionic surfactants, protease enzyme."

It can be diluted in water to soak clothes.

Does anyone know if this is the same as Oxyclean ?
Looking at my Oxyclean tub right now.It says"Contains sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate."
As I recall these are the active ingredients in PBW,which is what we all sub Oxyclean for.

It sounds like a safe bet that it's ok to use as long as it is unscented. Always rinse well and sanitise after, should be no problem.

Thanks. I read the warnings and it says "Containe sodium percarbonate". Sounds like it should be ok to use.

Looks like Oxy on steroids. The surfactants will foam and they might need an extra rinse or two to get the film to dissolve, but it looks like a great all purpose cleanser.

Is Wal Mart in Ireland? WM has unscented Sodium Percarbonate/Sodium Carbonate sold under the brand name of "Sun" right next to the Oxy-Clean. $1.96 for a 30 oz. tub here in the states.

It's not the same as oxyclean. Oxyclean contains no surfactant.
The surfactant (non-ionic and anionic)will inhibit head retention if it's not rinsed completely, so be sure to give an extra rinse if you're using that product.
That product sounds more like a laundry detergent/stain product, but if you're careful to completely rinse, it'll work.
FWIW, Hot water is good for most bottle cleaning applications. That, combined with a post-cleaning, sanitizing rinse will work for the majority of your needs. I'd start with a hot water soak. For the bottles that do not pass inspection, employ the cleaning product for further assistance.

It's not the same as oxyclean. Oxyclean contains no surfactant.
The surfactant (non-ionic and anionic)will inhibit head retention if it's not rinsed completely, so be sure to give an extra rinse if you're using that product.
That product sounds more like a laundry detergent/stain product, but if you're careful to completely rinse, it'll work.
FWIW, Hot water is good for most bottle cleaning applications. That, combined with a post-cleaning, sanitizing rinse will work for the majority of your needs. I'd start with a hot water soak. For the bottles that do not pass inspection, employ the cleaning product for further assistance.

No Walmart here unfortunately. This is my first batch and I'm using recycled bottles so I think I will use it this time to get them really clean. Then I'll soak overnight in clean water and rinse again before sanitising in the dishwasher.

I'll rinse the bottles as I use them for future batches.

Latest posts

Back