Spigot vs Siphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TysonWD

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've been reading these boards for a couple weeks now, and haven't seen this addressed that I can recall. Forgive me if its been asked before :). I read today that you should always use a siphon when bottling beer and fill with the tube at the bottom of the bottle. This is to prevent oxygenation of the fermented wort which is undesirable.

With that in mind, I have a bucket equipped with a spigot. I was originally going to siphon the wort from my primary into the bucket with spigot. Then just fill bottles with spigot and make things easy on myself :).

So my question is: Does bottling with a spigot make a noticeable/appreciable difference in taste when used instead of a siphon?

Thanks,

Tyson
waiting as patiently as possible on his first brew to get ready for bottling. :ban:

get a bottling attachment. All it is is a tubne with a springloaded platic tip which when touching the bottom of the bottle allows the beer to flow. You can use with a bottling bucket or syphon, but personally i prefer using a syphon. Ive done with both but i prefer the method i listed for peace of mind.

Austin Homebrew Supply bottle filler

+1 on the bottling attachment. I use it with great results attached to the spigot of a bucket. Soon I will use it on a siphon when I bottle my first batch of Apfelwein!

Where did you see that it said to bottle with a siphon? I must say I've never heard that before. Now, if it was referring to transferring from one vessel to another, then yea you want to siphon as the spigot will pick up crap from the bottom of the bucket, therefore obviating the need for another vessel.

I have tried bottling with a siphon. Once. It sucked. Use the spigot with bottle attachment. OH yea, and to answer your question, no it doesn't make a difference in taste. It is way more convenient though to use the spigot.

Thanks for all the help. :). Still a few weeks from bottling my first brew, just trying to make sure I have the process straight for when I bottle.

Tyson

Really either will work. When bottling you cant beat a spigot with a bottle filler with a length of vinyl tubing connecting them.
If your primary has a spigot you can jam some tubing on the spigot and transfer to your bottling bucket. Not sure of thats what your describing Im a little confused. But if your using a bottling bucket with priming sugar added a bucket with a spigot and bottle filler is your best bet.

some 'older' books talk about siphoning when bottling.

get the bottle filler 'wand'...and attach it to the spigot with a short piece of tubing. 2-3" is enough..just enough to hold it securely on the spigot/spout.

its cumbersome and un-necessary to have a 'several foot' length of tubing.

Where did you see that it said to bottle with a siphon? I must say I've never heard that before. Now, if it was referring to transferring from one vessel to another, then yea you want to siphon as the spigot will pick up crap from the bottom of the bucket, therefore obviating the need for another vessel.

I have tried bottling with a siphon. Once. It sucked. Use the spigot with bottle attachment. OH yea, and to answer your question, no it doesn't make a difference in taste. It is way more convenient though to use the spigot.

Why did it suck?? I'm thinking of using my siphon and bottle attachment to bottle tonight.

I bottle using the auto-siphon with hose and the bottling wand at the end. It works great. Of course you need to sanitize the siphon, tubing, wand first.

Back