French Style Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siet6773

Reaction score
I'm looking at gathering as much info on French Style cider. Any good resources out there that anyone knows about. What kind of Yeast, fermentation process? Thanks in advance.

please correct me if i'm wrong but i think the main aspect of normandy cider making that differentiates it from other regions/styles is the process of keeving, or reducing the amount of nutrients perfectly such that you can bottle carb while retaining some residual sugar and having the yeast run out of gas at just the right point so that you don't get bottle bombs.
how they accomplish it i have no idea (google seems to have some idea), i bet each cider maker has their own tried and tested method.

The french keeving method of cidermaking is fairly advanced but is possible at home. It requires a slow natural ferment (no cultured yeast) and the addition of calcium chloride and an enzyme called PME to form a floating calcium pectate gel. The juice is racked from under the gel, and is very low in nitrogen so that the fermentation stalls with some residual sugar. You have to maintain temperatures below 50F, and it works better with old trees in a low nutrient orchard.

It is quite hard to get the PME since the French aren't big on posting things overseas.
Andrew Lea has some info here http://cider.org.uk/keeving.html

Back