Cold crashing apfelwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFBass

Reaction score
I'm making apfelwein in a Mr Beer. The newer one, where it is barrel shaped and doesn't have an air lock. I followed edworts recipe two a T, cept split in half. It's been about a month.

I was considering cold crashing it. I have moved it a couple times, to make more room in the brew closet, and every time it has shaken up a bit of sediment. I'm using the lavalin 1118 yeast. To my understanding, cold crashing for a few days, or up to a week, may help solidify this?

Should I go ahead, or will it make no difference and just go ahead and bottle? I'm planning to bottle condition for 6 weeks (up to my birthday) so I imagine there will be a decent time for everything to drop out in the bottle.

Is it clear already? For the two batches I have made, I let them sit in primary for atleast 8 weeks before I bottled them.
Batch I am drinking now was "brewed" in early November.

the longer you sit on apfelwein, the more mellow it will taste. I actually enjoy it with a bit of a bite, so I typically primary for about a month and a half, then bottle (or drink if I don't want carb).

If you are looking for a really clear cider, then a cold crash will work just fine. Just make sure it has sat in primary for at least a month and a half and up to 4 or more months.

Back