Scotch. Gimme your faves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkarp

Reaction score
Yes, I know there's a couple other Scotch / single malt discussions, but I hate resurrecting old threads. My liquor cabinet is frighteningly low so I'm going Scotch hunting this weekend.

Any recent great finds? I'm partial to Highlands, but will consider a Lowland or even a gently peaty Island. A shortlist of some I'm considering:

Balvenie
Edradour
Glenfarclas
Benriach
Glen Garioch
Speyburn

Single Malt:
Macallan 12 yr
Isle of Jura 10 yr or Superstition
Laphroaig 10 yr Cask Strength for a severe change of pace

Blended:
Johhny Walker Green

Highland Park in any age with the 18 obviously superior. Possibly the best there is.
Dalwhinnie 15
Balvenie 15
Talisker 10
or if I want peat I go to:
Lagavulin 16 (very smooth and complex)
Laphroaig Quarter Cask (nice balance of malt and peat)
Ardbeg 10 ( big peat - an acquired taste)

Highland Park in any age with the 18 obviously superior. Possibly the best there is.
Dalwhinnie 15
Balvenie 15
Talisker 10
or if I want peat I go to:
Lagavulin 16 (very smooth and complex)
Laphroaig Quarter Cask (nice balance of malt and peat)
Ardbeg 10 ( big peat - an acquired taste)
I REALLY want to try the 30 or 40 but they are far too pricey.

I must say I'm a sucker for peaty whiskys. I always have a bottle of Laphroaig 12 year. You can't go wrong with Lagavulin either.

I haven't gotten into anything too crazy. Here in Ohio, the liquor in the store is controlled by the state's list. If its not on the list, it will never be on the shelf.

I have got a bottle of
talisker30.jpg

Been nursing it for a few years now. Just enjoying it on special occasions. It is unbelievable. My favorite Scotch ever.

Back from the hunt. Scored a bottle each of Balvenie Doublewood and Oban 14 Year. Sipping the Oban right now. Starts as simple, straightforward Scotch, but has a loooooooong smokey finish. Me like.

Excellent choices on both. If you like the smoke of the Oban, then a Highland Park should get a consideration for the future. They have more of a smoke presence throughout to my tastes. I like the 12 and 18 the best. The 15 is nice but I personally like the other two more. I agree with Mullenite that I would like to try the 30 and 40 year but can't get another mortgage on the house to do so.
Berserker Brew
I would love to try a dram of that Talisker 30. Must be liquid gold.

I never really drank Scotch. I have a friend and he always drinks Loch Dhu. I was looking for a gift for him a couple of years ago and of course it had been "retired." However, I found this link.
http://www.loch-dhu.com/buy-online.htm
According to some "real" Scotch drinkers, that was the equivilent of a threesome for Scotch drinkers.

I've really been digging this Balvenie Doublewood. It smooths out nicely with a few drops of water and its clean malty flavor was unexpected in such a bargain Scotch. I actually like it better than Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood, and at under $40 a bottle, I don't feel guilty about having a second glass. :p

Back