Plastic taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halldawg

Reaction score
My beer out of the keg seems to have a plastic like taste to it. Not sure if it is the beer itself (seems to be) or the keg lines. I have flushed the lines a few times and washed the kegs well. Not a big taste, more like an after taste that I get sometimes, but not all.

Most likely either chlorine/chloramines in the water or a fermentation that was too warm.

What do you have for beer lines? Some will give off a plastic taste, but even so that should only be evident for beer that has been sitting in the line for a while before the first pour. If you pour off what has been sitting in the line and you still taste it, it is more likely to be a problem with water quality or fermentation temps, as stated previously.

Does your tap water smell very chlorinated?

Mine did/does and the "rubber band" off flavor for me was due to chlorine/chloramines in my water supply. Use Campden tablets or water filtration to decrease the levels of chlorine/chloramine. 1 Campden tablet will treat 20 gallons of water and they can be found at many homebrew shops. I just tapped an IPA that was made with Campden tabs for the first time. I can't detect any traces of chlormaines and when I burp they don't taste like band-aids.

i'm getting ready to dump a chlorinated batch myself. i think however that it was from using fresh new tubing throughout without a rinse brew thru them.

I had some keg line that I bought that had that taste. Even 10 minutes after pouring 2 beers , the taste would be back. Even the kegerator had the smell to it. I had to get rid of them. If you have a different brand , even a picnic faucet, try it to try and troubleshoot.

I also tried cleaning the lines with PBW and star san. Nothing helped.

My experience shows that this taste is chlorophenols, which are a product of chloramines in your tap water. The fix is campden tablets in your brewing water.

Back