Grapefruit and Chinook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of eviltoj's arrogant bastard clone, its kind of become my house drink, great stuff. I ordered a couple of pounds of hops from hops direct and used the chinook, per the recipe, for this batch. I did dry hop for a week with another ounce of chinook. I'm pulling the first pints tonight and there is definitely a very strong grapefruit flavor. Its actually not unpleasant, but it is to the point of making you feel like theres about a gallon of grapefruit juice in the keg.

Im used to the citrusy flavors of american hops, but this is extreme. The beer attenuated well, everything was really normal, just wondering if it just needs time to mellow out, or if there is something else going on.

It will mellow out, just give it time. Myself, I love the grapefruit you get from Chinook. First beer to be kegged in a couple days is a delish IPA using a bunch of citrusy American "C" hops.

Latest posts

Back