Cheap DIY Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure. Go to your local mega-grocery store and hit the bakery. All the frosting for those plain sheet cakes comes in 5-6 gallon buckets that they will happily give to you for free at the end of the night. Wash it out, drill a hole in the lid and you're ready to go.

Go to your local Safeway or Albertsons and ask the bakery if they have any frosting buckets you can have. They usually do. I got two 3 1/2 gallon buckets with the lid that has the rubber gasket for free.:ban:

I buy 5G buckets (HDPE 2) at HD or Lowes (~$5 w/ lid) - drill and attach a spigot and strip thermometer ($5 on ebay) and you have a fermenter for less than $10 (fill to about 4 inches below the top and good for 5G of 1.040 beer, bigger beers need more head space so about 4 to 4.5 G) -- I don't use an airlock, just set the lid on loosely until the krauesen subsides then snap it down until fermentation is complete

I buy 5G buckets (HDPE 2) at HD or Lowes (~$5 w/ lid) - drill and attach a spigot and strip thermometer ($5 on ebay) and you have a fermenter for less than $10 (fill to about 4 inches below the top and good for 5G of 1.040 beer, bigger beers need more head space so about 4 to 4.5 G) -- I don't use an airlock, just set the lid on loosely until the krauesen subsides then snap it down until fermentation is complete

Food grade??

Yep - have been brewing with for a few years - several threads on here about them...

You could also use one of those 5G water bottles you get from the grocery store when you buy filtered or spring water from the machine. Rumor has it those are made by Better Bottle now. Look for a #1 or #2 on the bottom.

Go to your local Safeway or Albertsons and ask the bakery if they have any frosting buckets you can have. They usually do. I got two 3 1/2 gallon buckets with the lid that has the rubber gasket for free.:ban:

Hrm, really? That's too bad (for me). I asked around, as I was looking for 3.5g and what they had were 1, 2, and 5g. I ended up ordering some FDA approved white buckets from usplastic.com (Lima, OH) for about $7 for bucket and lid in 3.5g (shipping for the three $5, so about $8.50--not cheap). I'm looking to do AG 2.5g brews, so I really wanted 3-3.5g but couldn't find anything "local." My LHBS guys will drill all the holes for free (two lids, one bucket--airlocks on two fermenters and one bottling bucket) if I'll buy the spigot and airlocks from them. Not terribly bad deal imo.

I'd just save up and buy a starter kit. They come with a lot of handy tools like a bottle capper, fermentation bucket (that you can later use for bottling bucket even if you upgrade), so on and so forth.

Really cheaper to buy the starter kits then get everything one at a time. But if going the minimalist approach check craigslist. I obtained two 6.5 and one 5 gallon carboys for 20 bucks.

And speaking of craigslist, it's a good place in general to look for starter kits or equipment in general of people that no longer brew for whatever reason. I have seen a lot of good deals on craigslist, just need to check it often.

Cosper123 said:
I'd just save up and buy a starter kit. They come with a lot of handy tools like a bottle capper, fermentation bucket (that you can later use for bottling bucket even if you upgrade), so on and so forth.

Really cheaper to buy the starter kits then get everything one at a time. But if going the minimalist approach check craigslist. I obtained two 6.5 and one 5 gallon carboys for 20 bucks.

And speaking of craigslist, it's a good place in general to look for starter kits or equipment in general of people that no longer brew for whatever reason. I have seen a lot of good deals on craigslist, just need to check it often.

CL is awesome! Some patience is needed though cause you need to look everyday but you will find something, that's where I bought my stuff in the beginning. Keep a look out here in the classifieds here too but you gotta be fast here it goes quick.

Really cheaper to buy the starter kits then get everything one at a time.

I disagree. Paying $90 for some vinyl tubing, plastic buckets, capper etc (and likely with NO kettle included) is a total rip off. I could produce a nearly identical start up kit for around half the price.

I went to two stores today and both of them said they don't give them away, they recycle them. I don't understand what the difference would be if they gave me a few. I'd be putting them to very good use.

I was actually thinking of doing this:

I have a homedepot near by, but lowes or even sears will do.
A 5g bucket is $3-4 (they are usually food grade, but check)
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
A lid - $1.25
Airline tubing (don't know what it costs) $1
Aquarium Silicone - $1 (if you have a heat/glue gun that will do)

Drill the lid, glue the airline tubing, thow another end of the tubing into a 1 pint water bottle. --- DIY bubbler (air-lock)

See if you can find a lid that goes air-tight...

Premium 5 Gallon Buckets & Lids | U.S. Plastic Corp.

I have plenty of stuff to convert into a fermentation chamber lying around :)

...Like a 75 gallon empty fish tank! I could get it drilled (easier to clean/sterilize) and ...
Well, I have nto figured out how to go about a secondary with this :)

How are you guys brewing 5 gallon batches of beer in a 5 gallon bucket?

Also, something like this may be helpful:
Safe Plastics: A Chart of Safe Plastics, Health Risks, and Glutathione

That home-depot bucket, the one I have and bought a couple of years ago is #2 HDPE, and most buckets like this are....

The "list" you refer to is nothing but a "sky is falling" scare type web site that is completely ANTI-PLASTIC.

Even "PET" is evil as a class 1 plastic. Rubbermade approved food containers are class 5 (I have one in made hand at this moment) but are evil as well. Obviously, the web-site has an agenda.

How are you guys brewing 5 gallon batches of beer in a 5 gallon bucket?

Usually have to scale down to 4 or 4.5G batches, though lower gravity beers in the 1.040 range will work with a blow off tube. I'll fill the bucket to about 3-4 inches below the top (4.8G).

I don't use an airlock, just loosely set the lid on. I put he fermenter in my laundry sink, so if it spills over no worries. When krausen subsides I snap the lid on, wipe it up and let it go until fermentation is done. I have a spigot and bottle right from the primary.

3.5 gallon buckets are out there. I got one from a local store called "U-Bake" they make and freeze Crusts, cookies and other things of that type. They sell the used buckets. I believe I paid $2-$3 for it. Filled to the top it's actually 4gal. so I have a decent amount of head space for my 2.5gal batches (not that I do alot of them).
I've got to believe you can find some if you keep looking.

P.S. It's a class 5, just for the record. I believe (from the smell) they hold icing. It took a couple of soaks in oxyclean to get rid of the smell.

Usually have to scale down to 4 or 4.5G batches, though lower gravity beers in the 1.040 range will work with a blow off tube. When krausen subsides I snap the lid on, wipe it up and let it go until fermentation is done. I have a spigot and bottle right from the primary.

I bought 2 bottling buckets with lids, spigots, and airlocks for my fermentors. Basically doing the same thing. Couldn't see buying the kit as I'm going to keg.

These were the best price!

https://bellsbeer.com/store/products/Ale-Pail-%2d-6.5-Gallon-Bottling-Bucket-(with-spigot-hole).html

Wow, I didn't realize I had such a good find. It was too easy. Just walked in and asked, she went to the back and brought back two. lol

They are Ropak brand with a plastic handle.

Quick question this thread has inspired me. I got a free 3 1/2 galling bucket from wally that had icing in it. The question is it ok to ferment in it even though its type 5 plastic but its food grade?

I found and used alot of stuff not bought through homebrew supplies but i would also have to add over time the amount i did end up spending,well- i just dont really want to know.Its a hobby though, and a good cause.I depends how you look at it too you could spend alot of time and effort or gas getting stuff compared to having it with a visit or order.
I just spent time before i bought stuff figuring out what the best thing for me will work,for instance doing small batches because i have stovetop and 5 gallon pots wont boil( i think) I barely got 4 gallons in two pots boiling a few times though.Plus i just dont need that much beer anyway,unless i really like how a particular batch turned out.
I found 2 gallon wide mouth glass jars for 5 bucks at a what i thought were extinct Pamida store in a small town,couldnt resist ended up getting 3 and i was using a 2 gallon bucket,that has always been my bottleing bucket.6 gallons of glass jars for 15 bucks.
Really though i could have bought the 2 gallon bucket predrilled hole for bottleing for a dollar or two more compared to what i got at the depot,and then i had to get something to cut a 1 inch hole for the spigot- but again. Its a hobby..

Quick question this thread has inspired me. I got a free 3 1/2 galling bucket from wally that had icing in it. The question is it ok to ferment in it even though its type 5 plastic but its food grade?

That depends on who you ask;) I'm sure some one will show up to tell you you will die if you use it. Well, guess what your gonna die even if you don't!:D My thoughts are that if they are using it to for food to begin with then it's probably OK and I'm using one just like you describe.

I personally think getting a bucket and lid from the LHBS for $13 including the lid is cheap enough. The materials for the beer cost more than that, so if you are too strapped for the bucket, you might want to rethink brewing for a bit.

Not being snotty, I just don't think the price of a 5gal bucket is cost prohibitive compared to the other things going on.

I personally think getting a bucket and lid from the LHBS for $13 including the lid is cheap enough. The materials for the beer cost more than that, so if you are too strapped for the bucket, you might want to rethink brewing for a bit.

Not being snotty, I just don't think the price of a 5gal bucket is cost prohibitive compared to the other things going on.

I'll agree that the price of a bucket from LHBS is reasonable. But haven't found anyone locally that sells a 3.5 gal bucket, when I was looking i couldn't even find one on line. If you are doing a 2.5gal batch neither the 2 gal. nor the 6 or even 7gal buckets that are readily available will work.

I think the only issue with #5 is long term storage/oxygen permeability.

Definitely agree with that! After primary fermentation is done you should move it to a container better suited for the Long term such as the 3gal glass jugs that you can find all over the place. I don't think leaving it on primary for a couple of weeks in one of those buckets is going to hurt anything.

msujack and jonmohno have very good good points, sometimes it's just as easy and not any more expensive to just run to the LHBS. However... I am totally scouring around for cheap stuff to use as well. I skipped the kit and re-purposed a few things around the kitchen to get my first batch together. SWMBO isn't exactly thrilled about my new hobby and I can only spend a little at a time right now. If the ingredients are the expensive part for now, at least I'm brewing. As long as you get good food-grade buckets and clean/sanitize well you should be able to make good beer. I think for my first few batches, the least of my worries will be oxygen permeation in my fermenter. :)

I've gotten a lot of thea 5 gal bakery buckets. Some stores recycle, some will give them to you. Some will even save them for you. All depends on the store and the emplooyee working there at the time.

I just split a 5 gal. batch into two of these with 2.5 gal in each, fitted with airlock. I'm not sure ( and others may disagree) that the extra headspace is an issue. Some breweries and folks here ferement with open containers.

I disagree. Paying $90 for some vinyl tubing, plastic buckets, capper etc (and likely with NO kettle included) is a total rip off. I could produce a nearly identical start up kit for around half the price.

Sounds like you didn't shop around very well. Mine was 130 bucks, came with a 7.5 gallon SS kettle, stainless 10 inch stem therm that clips onto the kettle, the lid, imm chiller, two fermentation buckets with the spigots, airlocks, hydrometer, newbie brewing book, tubing, capper, caps and extract brew kit complete with the yeast, priming suger, etc.

If you can do better than William's Brewing on that, then perhaps you should start your own company.

I got it during a promotion, so not even sure that could be acheived again. But I was patient and kept looking around, and their prices still seem fair to me considering everything that comes in their kits. Point is be patient and keep looking around.

No need to settle now, just to spend more money later while the stuff you are getting now sit around un-used. I'm sure even the best planners among us do enough of that as is.

msujack and jonmohno have very good good points, sometimes it's just as easy and not any more expensive to just run to the LHBS. However... I am totally scouring around for cheap stuff to use as well. I skipped the kit and re-purposed a few things around the kitchen to get my first batch together. SWMBO isn't exactly thrilled about my new hobby and I can only spend a little at a time right now. If the ingredients are the expensive part for now, at least I'm brewing. As long as you get good food-grade buckets and clean/sanitize well you should be able to make good beer. I think for my first few batches, the least of my worries will be oxygen permeation in my fermenter. :)

I work with a guy who pretty much does the same thing. In fact he doesn't even have a single brewing pot. He gets the five biggest pots in his kitchen and uses them all to boil separate little batches then mixes them together into his fermentation bucket. And it drives his wife nuts too.

My primary is being used. I have never used a bucket before. Can I use a hd bucket for Ed Worts apfelwein. If so, will the krauesen make the bucket over flow. Will snapping the lid on effect the fermentation because I thought the yeast needed to breath?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Brewcrew86 said:
I thought the yeast needed to breath?

Don't forget airlock and hole in the lid w/ rubber grommet! If you want to DIY it, make a blow- off ;
drill a hole just smaller than the OD of 2'-3' of clear vinyl tubing. Heat the tube with hot water and insert in hole for a tight fit (no more than 1/4" in). Snap the lid on tight and submerge the open end of the tube in StarSan.

Outside of that, the yeast should be kept sealed off from ambient air for reason of sanitation but allowed to vent excess CO2 produced.

Lots of threads on this, the CO2 produced by fermentation is more than enough to keep out anything airborne - yeast don't breath in the conventional sense, they get O2 that is in suspension in the liquid. You can use an airlock, blow off tube, set the lid on loosely, even leave it open. All of these methods have been used successfully for years. It really depends on what you are comfortable with in your brewing - I've done them all with never a problem. I'm about easy, so I currently don't use an airlock or blow off, just loosely set the lid on top and snap down when krausen subsides. If I'm worried it might overflow, I put it in my laundry sink (which I can fill with water as a swamp cooler if need be).

No worries. See what works for you.

Cheers!

I googled the **** out of this. I found a lot of survivalist websites where people will not store food in these buckets and say they are unsafe even though the bucket says its type 2 plastic. They line the buckets with mylar bags if they do use them. Apparently the dyes on the colored buckets are not food grade and can be hazardous. I'd be interested to see proof they are safe.

Back