Pasteurize or stabilize when backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideshow_ben

Reaction score
I tried making a pear wit by adding a bunch of crushed-pear juice to my secondary, and now that refermentation is over, the beer tastes awful because only the pear acids are left. I need to backsweeten with pear juice and have come up with two options.

1. Add wine stabilizer (potassium sorbate) to my beer for a few days then mix in pear juice to taste.
2. Heat pasteurize the beer at about 140F for 20 min or so, then cool and add the pear juice to taste.

Anyone have any experience with either? I have done bottle pasteurization with back-sweetened cider but I'm kegging now so I need a new method.

Thanks all!!

-ben

I am assuming you are force carbing? If so, then I would go with option 2 personally. If you are not force carbing and need viable yeast to naturally carbonate, then your only option is a non-fermentable sweetener. Something like Splenda or Sucralose. Even lactose works, but doesn't taste right when used in high quantities.

Back