First AG brew recipe help.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
We'll i am going to be making my first All-Grain batch hopefully next week and i was looking to make an American Wheat style beer but give it a subtle orange flavor. I have read that using extract fruit flavors is the easiest method,but i do not like the idea of extracts and would much rather get the orange flavor naturally from the fruit it self. Can someone tell me how i would go about getting the desired orange flavor i am looking for... I have never used fruit before and it is all new to me! I understand you add it to the secondary similar to dry hopping, but still confused on how much and when using oranges do you only use the peel? how do i wash and crush up an orange.... My Base recipe is going to be this..

5lbs. pale 2-row malt
2lbs wheat malt
1.oz Casacade whole leaf

and is 10 lbs or oranges too much or not enough ?

10 pounds sounds like way too many oranges, but then again I've never brewed with them before. If you're just wanting a citrus taste to it, use coriander. If you really think you want the oranges in there you could try looking off of this

BM has a recipe on here where you add the Orange zest to the boil. Here's the link to that thread.

I brewed the Blood Orange Hefeweizen that danielinva linked above and have it on tap now. Not bad and will tap BM’s Wit as soon as this is done.

Surprisingly, none of the citrus notes come from the zest, so don't forget the coriander if you go that route.

Back