G'dang - Had To Extend The Hop Pole...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at the hops today and was thinking..."Damn the pole is gonna be too short".

2008_hops_III_001.jpg

The joint on the pole measures about 15' .... Went to menards got me another 5' of conduit & end connector.

2008_hops_III_002.jpg

My pole should be a solid 20'

I can't believe how fast they are growing and how thick the bines are at this point. Here's a shot w/ a ball point pen in the pick.

2008_hops_III_003.jpg

Last week I made me a Crap-Tap Lauter Tun. So I can fertilize and keep the downy mildew away. Believe it or not, this will be the first watering & feeding I've done so far.

2008_hops_III_005.jpg

FYI - Its basically a double nested bucket with the upper bucket drilled out to act as a false bottom. The bucket has 2" of compost/manure & about 4.5 gal of water.

Time to go feed the hops...

I'm SO jealous! It has been cold and cloudy up until last week. Several of my hops aren't even tall enough to trellis. But, after three days of sunshine & heat, I'm seeing proper growth on some: Fuggles 22" in three days, Cascades 38"!

It's amazing how a little heat & moisture kick start these. My first year rhisomes took until July to reach this point. Might I say w/ lots of water and primping.

These are at year 3. Like I said earlier I haven't done watering or added fertilizer yet.

In fact I had to trim them back quite a bit. I used tomato cages as a starter support. Last week the whole tomato cage was covered. They are trying to expand into the yard.

Holy Bat-Fuq Robbin!!

I had too extend it again. The wicked weather twisted to hell my hops and the pole.

The new pole is now 1' below the discharge of my 3rd floor fireplace!!!!

Hop_pole-Ext_001.jpg

Sorry about the dark pic had to race to get it done before sunset. I was afraid I'd find my babies on the ground some morning.

Made my own "Telescoping PVC pole!". :rockin:

10' x 2.5" PVC >>> 10' x 2.0" PVC >>> 10' x 1.5" PVC = Max length 25'

I'm planning to rig it like a flag pole. I got a 3" PVC coupler that will ride up and down the pole via a top pulley and an eye level rope cleat.

I'm using eyelet-carriage bolts to ratchet up and down the pole.

I also dropped the 2.5" PVC over a double corrugated fence post (Stop sign).

Ed,

These are year number 3. However, I transplanted them last spring. The transplant was basket ball sized. I dropped each one in 18" deep hole on top of 40lbs of compost/manure, covered it with two bags of black dirt, then topped it w/ bark mulch.

Left is nugget the right is cascade. The cascade is about 23' long right now and has about 4-5 monster bines running of the rope.
Probably too much weight. I was hard to stop them. They were growin' faster than a mofo. Its hard to clip a big healthy bine. Even if there's four.

BTW - I have yet to water them this year. Assumes spraying cow-poop water on the leaves don't count.

This morning I yanked out the old pole & very carefully restrung the guidelines. It was windy and I was on the top of the ladder square-notting lines together.

I was wondering which would worse; falling, dropping the guideline, or both. Probably both...

Hop_pole-Ext_006.jpg

I've got the tie off at waist level...

Hop_pole-Ext_007.jpg

Closer shot....

Hop_pole-Ext_008.jpg

Back