to lagar or not...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoferret

Reaction score
I've been reading that inorder to lagar u need to have a wort between 35-55 degrees for best results. Well right now the weather is that temp range though out the day. And should be for a few months. Just seeing if i should take advantage of the weather and try some thing new?

I have a storage cabnit on my patio that i'd use to keep the primary and secondary in. Right now i use my GF garden bath tub.

yep, it needs to primary at 50-55 degrees for about 14 days. then needs to lager at 30-32 degrees for a minimum of 4 weeks.

I like to "brew with the seasons". I end up with a broader range of styles and it can be less work. Lagering in the summer is a pain, getting fresh cider in the spring is expensive, meads take forever to ferment in the winter, etc. In the winter, I can ferment at 65F inside or 55F in the garage and lager outside.

If you use a kolsch ale yeast you can get that lager taste without lagering.

Back