My ABV is higher than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
Hey all, long time lurker.

I'm relatively new to brewing but seem to be halfway decent at it. I brew partial mash due to the fact I live in a small apartment on the 4th floor.

I use an app to calculate all my estimates for everything (which might be lazy)

I brewed a rye pale ale a couple weeks ago. I was aiming for an OG of 1.062, and it came it at 1.063 after adding my yeast starter. The FG was supposed to be 1.017 for a final ABV of 5.9%. I fermented at 67 degrees for two weeks.

I transferred to my secondary for dry hopping today after taking a FG reading which came in at 1.012. After accounting for temp changes, I calculated my actual ABV to be about 6.8%.

Am I getting a lot more efficiency out of my mash than I am estimating? Do these apps just suck? I use Brewer's Friend if that makes a difference.

I'm no perfectionist but this is a substantial difference.

Cheers!

Other than that, it smells delicious

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested. I named it "Citrus Tricky to Rock a RYEme"

5 gallon batch, 4 gallon boil; 60 min boil

2.1lbs 2 row
4 lbs light DME
1 lb 6 oz Rye
1 lb Munich
3.75 oz Canadian Honey
9.5 oz Victory

Mash @ 153; add DME with 15 minutes left in boil

.75 oz Columbus @ 60
.5 oz Citra @ 30
.5 oz Amarillo @ 15
.5 oz Citra @ flameout
.5 oz Amarillo @ flameout
1 oz Citra (dry hop 7 days)

47 IBUs

Wyeast American Ale 1056
2L Starter

1.063 to 1.012 should give you 6.7 at 60. What was your mash temp?

Higher Mash temp more body/sweetness and less fermentable sugars
Lower Mash temp less body/dry and more fermentable sugars

1.063 to 1.012 should give you 6.7 at 60. What was your mash temp?

Higher Mash temp more body/sweetness and less fermentable sugars
Lower Mash temp less body/dry and more fermentable sugars

153ish, I think it had dropped to about 148ish at the end of the 60 minutes. I had my pot wrapped in a blanket.

It could have gone lower, I'm guessing. I forgot to write it down. I need to be more detailed.

153ish, I think it had dropped to about 148ish at the end of the 60 minutes. I had my pot wrapped in a blanket.

It could have gone lower, I'm guessing. I forgot to write it down. I need to be more detailed.

148 is low and would explain the higher ABV. You create more fermentable sugars which will give you a higher ABV.

Latest posts

Back