Harpoon Winter Warmer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cecil1975

Reaction score
I found a recipe for this in BYO and just had a question on fermentation times. I've had it in the primary for 10 days and wanted to rack to the secondary so I can start another brew...has it been in the primary long enough? I'm not seeing any bubbling at all from the airlock so I think I'm ok, but am a little nervous...any suggestions?
Thanks

Use a hydrometer to know when the beer has reached a stable FG over 2-3 days. That's the only sure way to know.

IMO, you can go ahead and rack over to secondary if you're just doing it to clear up a fermentor. It might keep fermenting, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. Not sure it would really make any difference at all.

That said, get yourself a hydrometer. They're so cheap, get 2 or 3 so when you break one (you WILL break one) you won't have to freak out about it.

Gravity is the only way to know if fermentation is done. Also, consider that food-grade buckets are really really cheap. Get a bunch and get a pipeline going!

My normal recommendation is to not bother with a secondary in most cases, though since you have a good reason to move it - to brew another batch - 10 days should be plenty of time in the primary. Even if it is not 100% done, you should be close and racking to secondary will be fine - just be sure to be as sanitary as possible and limit oxygen contact (avoid splashing, keep the racking tube under the surface, purge the secondary with co2 if you have it, etc)

Back