Trub in hydrometer tube alter readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
First happy thanksgiving everybody! Second now that I did my thanksgiving day brew (Munich dunkel lager) I am just curious about something that I noticed during my brew session.

For my original gravity reading I took my sample from what was left over in my boiling kettle which was had a significant amount of trub which I noticed in my hydrometer reading test tube. Does anybody think that this would alter the hydrometer reading signifcantly?

When I used ProMash with my refractometer reading (12.1), ProMash stated that my OG would be 1.047 and using the excel sheet from MoreBeer this give me a reading of 1.049, but my hydrometer reading was 1.045.

Anybody have a possible explanation regarding these differences?

As long as nothing is sticking to the hydrometer it would not effect the reading.

the solids in the liquid are not affecting the reading of the hydrometer as long as you have enough liquid in the trial jar

When I used ProMash with my refractometer reading (12.1), ProMash stated that my OG would be 1.047 and using the excel sheet from MoreBeer this give me a reading of 1.049, but my hydrometer reading was 1.045.

Anybody have a possible explanation regarding these differences?

Did you adjust the hydrometer reading for temperature? For example, most Hydrometers are calibrated to read 1.000 at 60*F in plain water, at 70*F you would need to add .001to the reading on the meter, at 77*F you would add .002, at 50*F you would subtract .0005 .
Just a thought.

My hydrometer reading was taken close to 63 degrees so there was barely any adjustment needed. I'll take the average of the three readings and go with a "final" original gravity of 1.047.

I just wanted to double check and see if a bunch of trub would have changed it a bit. Thanks everybody!

Back