Corny Keg Bright Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellBentBrewCo

Reaction score
I've been splitting 11 gallon batches between bottles and kegs lately and I don't like how my bottle conditioned beers have been turning out. My kegged beer is always crisper and much much clearer. I'm playing with the idea of making a corny keg into a dedicated bright tank. I would cut 1/2" off the dip tube, add another dip tube in the gas in port cut with 4 inches cut off and a carbonation stone attached to the bottom.
I'd refrigerate the keg and carbonate at 12-14 psi then bottle directly from the keg. How long do you think it would take to carbonate this way? Commercial breweries carbonate overnight right? Is that possible at this scale?

I have 2 corny's that are dedicated bright tanks. I have 1" cut off the dip tube and it leaves about a pint in the bottom after all is said and done. Works great. If I'm not moving my keg much and just leaving it in the fridge, I just serve from the bright tank. If I am taking it womewhere or moving it, I transfer to another keg. As far as the stone on another dip tube- I think it's a bad idea. You will have to take it out to clean it and it has the possibility of getting clogged. I turn up the psi and roll the keg on my knees while sitting down for about 5 minutes. You can hear the bubbles slowing as you get near carbonation. Then put it in the fridge, set the temp, and set the correct PSI. In the morning, shake it again to make sure you have the right carbonation. You can hear more bubbles going into solution if it is still undercarbed. Wait for another hour so it isn't foamy and it will be perfectly carbed. I wouldn't mess with an air stone in the keg.

What do commercial breweries do? Don't they have carb stones in their bright tanks?

There's a thread on here about closed fermentation, carbing while you ferment. Its around here somewhere. I think they guy just used a corny keg and a spunding (sp?) Valve.

yea I read that. I want to also use the bright tank to clear the beer as much as possible. I'm worried if I ferment in the keg I'll end up with a bunch of crap in my bottles. I'll have another keg I'll drink out of, that usually drops clear while it carbs over two weeks. This is more of a clearing / quick carbing method I want to use to get a batch into bottles as quick as possible

SOme breweries use stones, and some use instant carbonation which has something to do with running the beer through a narrow neck and injecting high-pressure CO2 at very controlled pressures and flowrates. I personally think that it would be a cleaning and sanitation hassle to have a stone in the tank. Shaking the keg does just as good of a job. Also- you can start drinking out of the bright tank as it becomes more and more clear. You can tell when it is clear enough and you can transfer to another keg. Otherwise, you are just guessing when it is carbed and clear.

Also- I think it takes longer to clear than it does to carb if you start by shaking it to get most of the CO2 in solution.

Can any of you remember where to find that article on keg carbing?

Back