Figuring out set up for AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
So here's what I've got
14 Gal SS brew ketttle
20 Qt SS pot
8Qt SS pot (probably do mini mashing in the winter)
170K BTU burner on ring
60K BTU burner (originally on the stand)

Haven't done AG yet, but want to as soon as I can.

What I was thinking was either pick up one of those turkey friers with a 60 Qt aluminum pot for the hot liquer tank (that's the spare water pot right?)

Use my brew kettle to mash the grains (1/2 SS ball valve), flow them into the 20Qt stockpot with a false bottom (if I can find one the right size), rinse out the brew kettle and set up to lauter into, then continuous sparge and brew away.

So a few questions other than does this sound like a good setup?
Some of what I read made it sound like you don't want to mash in your lauter tun if you are using a false bottom, True? And if so why?
I know brewing in Al is usually frowned upon because if the protective film is scratched the acidic wort will draw aluminum into the wort, but just using it as a hot water tank should be fine. Opinions?
Will the 20Qt stock pot be large enough for 10 gal batches worth of grain?

There were more questions, but I can't think of them right now. I'm sure I'lll have more later.

Thanks,
D*Bo

Many, if not most, people use the same vessel to mash and lauter in. Lots of people use a cooler that acts as both. I do not think it matters if you use a manifold, SS braid or a false bottom. People use all of them and still mash/lauter in the same vessel.

As far as the 20QT pot..... errr, 20 Qt=5 gallons. So that is too small for 10 gallons.

No, at 1.3 quarts per pound of grain plus grain volume you would be limited to 12-13 pounds of grain. Enough for a session ale, but not a typical IPA.

D*Bo said:
I meant is it large enough to mash the grains for a typical 10 gallon batch.

Like David said, that would limit you to about 12-13 lbs and the associated mash water. At 13.5 lbs... (a recent brew I did) and 1.3 QT water per lb grain that works out to a total volume of about 5.4 gallons. This is for a 5.5 gallon recipe. You need at least double that for a 10 gal batch. And don't forget that if you have a false bottom that you lose some space that the grain will take.

My setup is very easy. have a converted SS keg, and a 150K BTU burner, an IceCube Cooler modified with a brained SS tube(manifold). Both IceCube Cooler and Converted SS Keg have a stainless steel spigot. Then I use a 7 gallon bucket to transfer liquor into the cooler, and wort into the brewing pot.

It works great for Single Infusion AG Brewing.

Back