Overshot lactic acid...fermented beer now very acidic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisraeliEers

Reaction score
So I misinterpreted a cell in the Bru'n Water sheet (because I was particularly dense that day) and ended up adding 2mL too much of 88% lactic acid into my sparge water.

The sheet says this should still keep the lactate under taste threshold, but my beer (fully fermented but still in primary) has a very acidic flavor (it's a dunkelweizen).

I've read you can add chalk to boost the pH and fix the problem (since lactate shouldn't be tasted), but I haven't found (a) exactly how to do that or (b) how much to add.

Any ideas?

All wheat beers with hefeweizen yeast have a slightly tart flavor. Besides - it's still in the fermentor. Flavors will change dramatically with conditioning and carbonation. I think you're going to be jumping the gun if you start adding stuff to the beer at this point. Just ride it out for now. Besides - 2 ml in 5 gallons is not a whole heck of a lot.

It's easy enough to figure out how much chalk it takes to neutralize 2 mL of 88% lactic acid: 2.3 grams. I'd start by adding 1/4 of that. You'll need to wait a couple of days and stir a few times to get it to dissolve. If, after the addition of 1/4 you don't deem the problem solved, add another 1/4 and so on.

Bear in mind that you are soaking up protons and converting HLac to Lac-. You may find the flavor of Lac- no more to your liking than than of HLac but the intensity of the flavor will decrease as you increase pH.

Back