Problem sparging...Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMMIPA

Reaction score
Ok I went out and bought a 8in. metal strainer and I got my first mini mash kit today.All the grain wont fit in the strainer at once.Should I just divide my sprage water in half and sparge both bags one at a time?

Please Help
Sean

I'm trying to visualize what you're asking, but I'm a bit thick. You have two grain bags, and you're doing a PM? And you were going to lift the bags into the strainer to sparge? If that's what you're saying, that's ok.

Thank you,Yooper.Im sorry im vague.I have quite a bit of grain and I dont think all of it will fit into the strainer at once so I was going to sparge half the grain bill then sprage the other half of the bill.Will I use the grains efficiently and get all the sugars out of them? I didnt anticipate the grain bill to look so huge in real life and not online.

Thank you
Sean

Heres my grain bill.

1 3/4 maris otter
1/2 crystal 60l
1/2 chocolate
1/8 black roast
1 lb flaked oats

all grain is pounds.

I cant post a picture im sorry.It is a partial mash kit with extract from AHBS.I just wanna know if dividing them grains and the 170 degree sprage water into two sprages will work and if it will be affiecent?

Sean

All of that grain is to be mashed in a system like this

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Making_a_Partial_Mash_mash_tun

or some other 2-3 gallon container alternately using a false bottom (not a strainer). After the mash (essentially a soak) it is sparged (rinsed). You then will be adding LME or DME (dried or liquid malt).
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Partial_mash

That's the simplistic view.

I don't think you have the equipment or the knowledge to do what you want to do just yet.

Thank you for the help.Auston homebrew told me all I had to do was to steep the grains first then sprage them with a strainer.

Sean

MMMIPA said:
Heres my grain bill.

1 3/4 maris otter
1/2 crystal 60l
1/2 chocolate
1/8 black roast
1 lb flaked oats

all grain is pounds.

I cant post a picture im sorry.It is a partial mash kit with extract from AHBS.I just wanna know if dividing them grains and the 170 degree sprage water into two sprages will work and if it will be affiecent?

Sean

Sean, do you have a big grain bag for them?

MMMIPA said:
Yooper,yes i Bought two extra large muslin bags.

Sean

Well, I've done some AHS mini mashes, so I sort of can visualize it now. Ideally you would not use the grain bag method but that's what I did when I started, too. If you read up on the link OllllllO posted, that will help alot.

And now for the practical advice with this batch- there are a couple of things you can do. One is to do what you suggested at the beginning, the stainer/half sparge method. It will work, but you will leave much of the goodness behind. That's really ok, since you "make it up" with the extract later on. What I did with those kits and line my bottling bucket with the largest mesh bag. It was a big, big, bag, and overhung on the outside. I put my grain in there, and used that as my my tun. I put a sleeping bag over it. Then, I drained, vorlaufed, and sparged right in there!

So, you can do whichever you want. In a partial-mash, you are still getting flavor, color, and freshness from the grains even if you're not able to really get alot of conversion. I wouldn't worry about the efficiency right now- it'll still be good!

Back