North American vs European Pilsner malt for Belgian brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staggerlee

Reaction score
Hey, all ye experienced HBTers. Maybe you can help me out with something.

I'm going to be buying my malt in bulk after realizing that the grain bill for one simple brew at my LHBS is setting me back the price of a whole 55lb bag from the malt distributors! Agonizing over the choices available.

I'll be brewing a lot of Belgian-style stuff this year, I think, and it seems that Pilsner malt is the base for most of them. On Jamil's podcast on BSDAs he insisted the homebrewer use a European pilsner malt, claiming that an American variety "just won't give you the right character."

The Euro-pils I'm looking at, though, is nearly twice the price of the domestic variety. I don't mind paying extra for quality if it will really make a difference, but I kind of wanted a second (third, fourth, etc) opinion before shelling out.

FWIW, the malts I'm looking at are the Best Malz pilsen vs. the Canada Malting superior pilsner. (The Weyermann pilsner and bohemian pilsner malts are also available, at a further premium.)

Thanks for your help!

Just my opinion, and I will preface it by saying that I use the Weyermann Pils malts (both 'regular' and Bohemian) and like them a lot (just finishing up a 55# sack of their Boh Pils malt). But for Belgian beers my favorite is Castle Pils (Belgian). Castle Pils is actually my favorite Pils malt for non-german, light brews that use Pils as a base.

I've never tried either of those two you listed but I'd almost always go for the continental Pils over domestic.

Back