1st legit all grain this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctayl9jq

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have done a few "test" small AG batches and finally sucked it up and am making a mash tun out of a 10 gallon water cooler. I plan on doing my first real AG brew this friday, an IPA, possibly a Pliny clone.

Now since I work during the day, I plan on brewing after work, probably getting back to the house around 6. Since it is our first full AG batch we are thinking it may take a bit longer than it should (stumbling through the first brew). That being said I would love to get the water up to temperature on my lunch break, throw the mash in the tun, and then go back to work, saving probably 2 hours later, that way we can just sparge and go straight to the boil once off from work.

I have read you have to factor in temp loss etc, Is this do-able, or is it not worth the trouble? Any advice if we do attempt to mash while I am at work.

Also- I know the answer to this already, but I really want to do a full 5 gallon batch, however I don't have a wort chiller. I plan on loading my tub full of ice and stirring occasionally to bring the temp down. I'm not shooting myself in the foot before I brew am I?

So you're going to mash for 4+ hours?

Tub of ice water is fine. It's just going to take a few hours to get within pitching temperatures.

making a mash tun out of a 10 gallon water cooler

You aren't saying that you are making a plastic mash tun, are you?? I don't think stainless steel or aluminum when I hear "water cooler." If you are literally talking about a plastic water cooler, I urge you to reconsider. You don't want something made of plastic holding 150F+ liquid for an hour. That's just asking for leached plastic, no matter what grade you are talking about.

Just my opinion. At least go get an aluminum mash tun. My first one was a 9 gallon aluminum pot that cost $29.99 from Big Lots.

Good luck!

You aren't saying that you are making a plastic mash tun, are you?? I don't think stainless steel or aluminum when I hear "water cooler." If you are literally talking about a plastic water cooler, I urge you to reconsider. You don't want something made of plastic holding 150F+ liquid for an hour. That's just asking for leached plastic, no matter what grade you are talking about.

Seriously? People use cooler mash tuns all the time!? They sell them everywhere. You would think if this were an issue you wouldn't see all the how too and kits with cooler mash tuns. Am I missing something??

Tons of people on here use picnic coolers for mash tuns, including myself. Are they not plastic?

Yeah IDK, I am not worried about the mash tun, its the exact same thing everyone else uses. I just needed to know if I needed to make any adjustments or be prepared for anything with such a long mash. Basically mrrshotshot's link helped me out there. I have a few concerns about the beer turning out dry, and if it were longer than 4-5 hours I would worry about it souring, but it doesnt seem to be a concern if I mash at 150ish for that long.

Back