Starter and possible Damaged Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 91802

Reaction score
I performed a search, but to no avail. I have made several starters in the past, and each time I've seen significant signs of fermentation in the form of CO2 generation when the starter is agitated. I don't have a stir plate, so I rely on manual agitation every time I walk by. This starter does not seem to foam much when I stir, but there was significant sedimentation this morning when I checked. Is this a sign that the culture is growing?

Any input would be appreciated.

sediment is a sign of growth and not all strains produce heavy krausen. What strain are you working with? Smell it and if it smells yeasy or beer like you are probably fine. If it smells sour or any other off flavor then your best bet is usually to start over.

The yeast is Wyeast Denny's Favorite. I think the number is 1450. I just gave it a sniff, and it smells like a really strong sour dough starter. Not very beer like at all. It has been warm here, and I wonder if it has been too warm.

More information:

First thank you for your input. When I first remove the lid ( screw to mason jar loosely threaded ) there is a pretty pungent sour note, but once that clears, the started smells like beer. CO2 maybe? Unfortunately I've never taken the time to smell my starters before.

Back