Three C's IPA Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumpster

Reaction score
So I've got 8ozs pellet hops of Cascade/Columbus/Centennial and I want to incorporate a bit of each in an IPA. Looking for a good extract recipe that fits a single IPA mold. Thanks!

Not exactly what you are looking for but start with 3CPA, substitute Centennial for Chinook and use Cascade instead of the Cascades/Perl/Amarillo mix. As you might guess, 3CPA stands for Columbus, Chinook, Cascade, Perl, Amarillo.

[I'm not a hophead, but I can brew like one.]

Id bitter with 1 ounce Columbus. Then flavor with a half ounce each of Centennial/cascade at 30 mins and again at 15 mins. I'd do another half ounce of each at 5 mins and then dry hop in the secondary for a week with a half ounce of each.

That doesn't use much columbus but I bet that will still serve you very well:mug:

Looking for a good extract recipe that fits a single IPA mold. Thanks!

I'm not sure what this means exactly as I am not sure there is any such thing. However, my favorite extract IPA recipe was one where I had Sculpin on the brain

The base recipe looked a little like this:

Steap: 60 min @ 157
-1 lb vienna
-.5 lb crystal
-.5 lb cara pils

Boil: 60 min

Hops: @ boil
-1.5 oz chinook @ 60
-2 oz centennial @ 20
-1 oz simcoe @ 5
-1 oz chinook @ 5
-1 oz zeus @ 5

Dry Hop: in secondary for 7 days
-1 oz centennial
-1 oz simcoe
-1 oz zeus

Having said that, Shrewd's recommendation for hop schedule given what you are working with looks pretty solid.

Back