what in gods name happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saburke17

Reaction score
album.php

this is the recipe
4 gallons pasturized cider with no preservatives
2 cups honey
6 oz Grandma's mollases.

Heat enough to thoroughly combine all ingredients.

Pitch:
Wyeast Bavarian wheat yeast.

I made 2 single gallon batches from the whole foods cider, i adjusted the ingredients for size. it stayed in primary for 30 days at roughly 72-75 degrees. the sg started at 1.063 and its now at 1.000. any idea on what is on the bottom? in the second gallon whatever it is, is floating like a 5 pound flem ball. any ideas? i would like to rack it into bottles but not if this batch is toast

Wow, I've never seen anything quite like that. I guess the pectins goobered up or something?

I'd rack off of that crud, and either rack to a smaller container or find something to top off with to reduce headspace.

It probably wouldn't hurt to crush a campden tablet in a little water, and add the to the receiving carboy and then rack the cider into it.

If it smells ok, and tastes ok, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Wow, only thing I have seen like that is JOAM. That is a lot of trub for a cider. Looks like you got some organic bottom of the barrel stuff.
I would just rack off of it and see how it develops.

Latest posts

Back