Nutrient additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knarfks

Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with a weak fermentation with pils malts.

The fermentation was pathetically weak, maybe 1/2" of foam after 48 hours. I added a tablespoon of energizer, 3 hours later I almost have a blow out. Temps at 66 constant. Aerated with pure O2 for 2 min like normal.
I'm using american wheat by wyeast. I have never had this problem with a beer before.

That's odd, pils malt usually produces a wort that is pretty easy on the yeast. Even without a protein rest you would need to use fairly undermodified malt to achieve a FAN (free amino nitrogen - the level of amino acids in the wort) level that is not sufficient for a good fermentation.

Kai

Never had that problem nor have I even heard of it before and I have brewed Pils heavy wort on two occasions.

Sounds more like a yeast issue (dormancy or low pitch rate) if it was solved with nutrient additives, does it not? I'm wondering what your pitching rate was and what the date on the smack pack was. Starter? etc. etc.

I just brewed two pilsners using no other malt besides pils and had no troubles with weak fermentation. In fact, the yeast managed to chomp right through everything within a few days and at about 46-50F during the entire fermentation.

:drunk:

I did a protein rest at 122 for 20, the date on the smack pack was november of this year. Oh well, it is chugging away now.

Have you used the same yeast with other malts? 48 hours for a smack pack to reach the fermentation phase doesn't seem unreasonable.

I always toss in a teaspoon of Wyeast nutrient, even though my grains are well modified.

security/insurance to give me more peace of mind.

Nope, I haven't used this yeast before.
I wasn't so worried that it wasn't going to ferment, it had started but really weakly, but the bizarre thing was as soon as I added the nutrient it took off vigorously(english teachers please ignore the RO sentence:) ). I haven't had a beer do that before

Back