Nitrogen setup for a stout..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've searched and haven't got a clear picture for this type of setup and carbing of the beer. I'm already kegging now. My questions are:
Are the aluminum tanks for CO2 the same as for nitro?
Do I need a special regulator?

What's the proper way to carb a stout? Any different than any other beer? Right now set the PSI to 30 for 3 or 4 days. Once carbed to my liking, I set to 10-12 psi. Can I carb the same?

I already have a Guinness tap, so I guess I'm set there. Is that all I need?

Regulator, that's going to depend on where you get your beer gas. Some outfits will have tanks that will require a Nitrogen regulator, others will have tanks with CO2 regulators. I highly suggest checking what your local provider has before buying a regulator. I made the mistake of not checking and assumed and ended up making several trips and returns because of it.

Carbing...I would suggest carbing to a lower volume than normal if using a stout faucet. I typically will but on CO2 around 6-8psi for a week or two, then jump over to the beer gas.

Wow..Stouts don't require much psi. When It's on the beergas, what serving pressure?

Also, DO you think I could fix two 5 lb tanks along with two kegs in my sanyo? Doesn't look like there would be a lot of room in my fridge.

Beer gas I think is set around 30 psi. Need the extra pressure to get it through the plate in the faucet. In my experience if you carb at normal levels when going to a stout faucet set up you'll get nothing but foam and be waiting forever to drink you beer.

Also, DO you think I could fix two 5 lb tanks along with two kegs in my sanyo? Doesn't look like there would be a lot of room in my fridge.

Yes. Here's mine.

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

Back