Possible mold-please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone, my 3rd batch of beer has been in the secondary for two weeks and 2 days ago I noticed some clumps of bubbles on top of the beer. I didn't think too much of it and thought it was some residual fermentation. however i checked this evening and the bubbles have increased a lot: to he point were the airlock is actively bubbling again. I also noticed at the bottom of the carboy there seemed to be something growing up from the sediment around the edges of the carboy. I was just curious if this was an infection or possible mold. i have tried to take pictures but they don't come out clear enough to post. If anyone could help me out that'd be awesome.

to bring ya'll up to speed on the equipment/ kit i'm using
True Brew Oktoberfest ingredient kit
Food grade plastic bucket as primary for 1 week.
glass carboy for secondary 2 weeks

Could be yeast. Did the temperature change at all? I have had plenty of brews start back up due to temperature change. I have also had a beer months later in a secondary an it start bubbling again.

the temperature might have gone up 2-3 degrees. i try to keep it at 70 degrees and checking it now its around 73 degrees. will the temperature rise accelerate fermentation again?

The warmer temperature might increase yeast activity a bit, plus it will cause the beer to lose some dissolved CO2. And what you're most likely seeing piling up along the bottom edges of the carboy is floculating yeast.

In short, what you're seeing is most likely a healthy brew doing normal things...

Cheers!

it's probably fine as others stated, but can you provide a picture so we can be a bit more conclusive?

Back