rubber cap vs. traditional bung

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
For my 1st few batches I used a regular bung and airlock on my carboy, then a clip when I racked it. I recently picked up one of those rubber caps with 2 stems, one at a 45 degree angle, and the other going staight up.

This made it a lot easier rigging up the blow-off tube, as well as the fact that the racking cane fits, and is held firmly in place by this. It just seems to make everything a ton easier...are there any drawbacks to these things?

The caps are great for siphoning: I prefer the so-called universal bungs for carboys: they seal really well even when still dripping wet with sanitizer, and they work quite well for either an airlock or a blowoff hose. And as Fire says, you can also drill your baucket lid so that you can use the bungs on both carboys and buckets (a nice KISS strategy).

Love 'em! They can't fall into the fermenter and they can be siphoned through (though I use an auto-siphon and you can't use both methods). Can't think of a negative.

I only use my auto siphon when using a bucket for a primary. Otherwise I use the orange caps, they are great, less things to clean up and I don't have to hold the cane so I don't get a bunch of sediment, I put my carboys at an angle so the sediment isn't suck into the siphon.

Richard said:
I've heard that the rubber stoppers can cause off-flavors. Is this true?

Hmmmmm. don't see how. They are never in contact with the wort and are air-tight. Never heard of that before. Anyone else?

Back