Tempurature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyb85

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I see that most of you with keezers have a module that you splice into the wiring of the freezer itself. Now what is the advantage of using one that like over one like this one,

Amazon.com: Freezer Temperature Controller: Kitchen & Dining

This one has a double sided plug, one that plugs into the wall and one for the freezer to plug into.

Thanks!

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
That will work just fine. Wiring into the freezer wiring itself allows for the light to continue to work. Or if you have a fridge where you want to keep the freezer portion working. But if you have a simple chest freezer and don't have any power dependent accessories, then that honeywell controller will work just fine.

Thanks Big B, I was thinking of making the wiring as simple and electrically safe as possible. I was planning on mounting a small surge protector to the back of the collar. One outlet for the temp controller plug/freezer, and also buy a small CPU power source to run the fan. I could probably add my own LED system to wire into the CPU power source but where im going to keep it there will be a light so im not worried about the interior light remaining working.

That looks pretty cool. At $49 it beats my planned selection. A Ranco Model etc211000000 @ $119.

ETC Supply

This is the one that is 2 stage. It will control heat and cooling that way you can have the carboy in the mini fridge to control the cooling side and a heating pad wrapped around the carboy to control the heating portion. You can also buy it cheaper unwired but you will spend just as much $ buying the cords yourself. Then you have to figure out how to wire it.
So, all you need is the Mini Fridge.

a computer power supply will be very overkill and will waste power. you may only be using 500mA (6 watts) of power for the fan, but a PC power supply will use 10-50 watts when on, even when nothing is plugged into it. just use a cellphone charger or similar. you can normally find an old 12v 1A wall wort lying around somewhere.

I think this is my answer to fermentation stability for living in TX. I was looking into building a SOF, but by the time I build one big enough to ferment (2) carboys and buy the thermostat, and all the foam... I could just pick up a cheap chest freezer on CL and buy this analog controller and be done with it! SCORE!!!
Now, off to search CL!

a computer power supply will be very overkill and will waste power. you may only be using 500mA (6 watts) of power for the fan, but a PC power supply will use 10-50 watts when on, even when nothing is plugged into it. just use a cellphone charger or similar. you can normally find an old 12v 1A wall wort lying around somewhere.

Thanks a lot thats probably what i will end up doing. that with the plug in temp controller. Im really excited to get this project started and im going to start buying all the parts this weekend. Ive decided to go with red oak for the collar since its more readily available near me and walnut is super expensive.

Back