Apfelwein clearing nicely but.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim27

Reaction score
I can almost read news print through my Apfelwein which I guess is the test everybody uses. There are still small effervescent like bubbles coming up in "trails to the surface. Is this a sign of continuing fermentation? Or is it just residual gas being released by the dormant yeast? If it isn't more fermentation then I will probably rack next weekend. My Apfelwein is at 6 weeks right now. FYI.

Thank you in advance, Tim

Well, of course everyone is going to tell you to hydro it to be sure but I can tell you from a limited experience that I would be greatly suprised if it was not done fermenting. Most of mine have been done fermenting within 2 weeks. By all means, if your going to rack it, I would do it now. At this point all your looking for is to clear and maybe age it a bit. As for the bubbles, I have apple wine "same thing, just higher ABV" that is 3 1/2 months old and it still has those little trail of bubbles coming up....however, its definitely NOT fermenting still. I say.....Rack that puppy!

Well I am deffinitely going to bottle friday night. Been real excited to try this stuff.

Back