HELP ME!! (ingredients)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dryicekills

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm totally new to this.

Here's my situation:

I bought a 5g brew kit on eBay, and received it. I went to a local brew shop and got a can of Edme "Classic Pilsner" syrup. The can ingredients say that it contains Malted Barley, Water, Hop Extract, and Brewers yeast. I was told by a worker there that I'd still need to add another pound of Malt Extract, and of course, a packet of yeast, when brewing.

The instructions in my brew kit say I'll need:
1 can of unhopped light malt extract (3.3 lb)
2 lb. Light Dried Malt Extract
2 oz. Cascade variety hop pellets
1 packet ale yeast
5 oz. corn sugar for bottling

The conundrum:
Does the can I bought substitute for the ingredients that my kit states? (minus the sugar)

In essence, what all will I need other than the can of mix?

THANKS!!!!

I've never really used a kit, but I thought the kits came with everything needed. What did yours come with? Just that can?

A lot of times, kits are "just add water" type from what I've read about them. I'll defer to someone more knowledgable but I highly advise you read this:

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Also, welcome to the forums :D

I want to be sure I understand what you're asking. You bought something on ebay; was it an equipment kit or an ingredient kit?
I understand that you also puchased a pre-hopped can but without knowing the answer to the above question, answering your questions is difficult.

Welcome to HBT! We're glad you're here and look forward to helping you through your first brew.

The instructions in my brew kit say I'll need:
1 can of unhopped light malt extract (3.3 lb) **was this with the ebay kit?
2 lb. Light Dried Malt Extract **your pilsner syrup can replace this
2 oz. Cascade variety hop pellets**with your kit?
1 packet ale yeast
5 oz. corn sugar for bottling

please list what exactly was in your kit for better assistance

the kit from eBay was just the EQUIPMENT needed. no ingredients.
The can I bought at the store was pre-hopped, but I'm wondering whether or not i need to add 2 lbs. of dried malt extract (like my book says), or 1 lb. (like the old lady at the store says).

I think 2 lbs. There's no rule about how much DME to add. Was the lady saying always add one pound? I think you need 2 pounds if you're only using one can LME.

BTW, is your Pilsnet Syrup hopped extract? If so, you should not use as many hops. I would think you'd just skip the initial hop addition in your recipe.

I would take that can back and replace it with unhopped extract.

Welcome to the forum and it'll all be clear soon for you!

Actually, Grinder's right. Swap it for unhopped extract. And stand by your recipe...it looks legit. No need to have store employees talk you out of anything (except that you bought the wrong extract).

Use the pre-hopped can and two pounds of DME. You could make it with one pound, but the final results won't be as satisfying.

When using pre-hopped extract, you skip the 60 minute hop add and just make them at 15 and 5 minutes. This means fewer hops total.

(Hop adds count down from the beginning of the boil: bittering @ 60, flavor@15 & aroma@5)

If you haven't guessed by now, there are many ways to make beer.

Latest posts

Back