Bottle bomb indicators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhelanKA7

Relax? RELAX?!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anything to look for in a bottled beer that would indicate that the batch may start exploding at any given moment? I recently bottled a Belgian pale ale at 3 volumes of CO2 and while I know that should be an acceptable amount it is right on the cusp of too much for a standard 12 oz beer bottle. They have been in the bottle since this past Saturday and was thinking of waiting a week and putting one in the fridge to see where its at carbing.

Thanks. :mug:

My capper puts a little divot in my caps, which will start to bulge if the pressure gets too high. Other than that...not really. If you're concerned, I'd check them regularly. If they foam up on opening, that's not a good sign.

Cool one down for a couple days and then open it. Foamer = bad.

For the future - never rush getting it into the bottle. Always check the hyrdrometer for no change three days in a row.

Flying shards of glass ;) seriously though, anything that foams uncontrollably when you open it is probably at risk. Keep them in a plastic bin, handle with care and open facing away from you. Drink up quickly.

Cool one down for a couple days and then open it. Foamer = bad.

For the future - never rush getting it into the bottle. Always check the hyrdrometer for no change three days in a row.

I didn't rush anything. I know better than that :p. I'm asking because I carbed (Edit: I should say primed) towards the theoretical limit of a regular 12oz bottle.

My capper puts a little divot in my caps, which will start to bulge if the pressure gets too high. Other than that...not really. If you're concerned, I'd check them regularly. If they foam up on opening, that's not a good sign.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who uses that as an indicator.
Left vs right
ForumRunner_20130207_230818.jpg

You should be fine at 3 volumes, I've done it several times. I think that's the anecdotal limit, not the theoretical limit. As long as you aren't storing them at 120 degrees or something.

You should be fine at 3 volumes, I've done it several times. I think that's the anecdotal limit, not the theoretical limit. As long as you aren't storing them at 120 degrees or something.

I figured that was the case. Thank you. I was also just curious for future reference if there were any indicators to look for.

Back