skipping sparge for high gravity wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
Im planning to try an experimental imperial stout. Its going to be really small (1.5 gal) but Im shooting for 1.100 OG. I have a plan, but Im wondering if I have the details straight in my head.
If I rock a really thin mash----> decoc (gallon or so) to bring mash temp to 168 (and reach my preboil volume minus grain absorb. loss), effectively combining mash and a mini batch sparge... what changes do I need to make to the recipe?

can I just drop my eff. a little, maybe to 55/60%?

suggestions?

thoughts?

Bueller, anyone, anyone...

Look up BIAB. Look up Partigayle. Both can produce a single or first running of wort that will fill your need.

Check out this thread. We've been talking about a plan for a 1-2 gallon 1.100 batch.

Like Hex said... BIAB

Check out this thread. We've been talking about a plan for a 1-2 gallon 1.100 batch.

Like Hex said... BIAB

heheh, thats my thread. I just thought it had died out. I wanted to streamline and repost my specific question.

as far as BIAB, all my mashes are BIAB, but I usually drag the bag of grain over into the sparge water.

I guess what Im still a little unsure of is, how will my recipe development need to adjust for not doing a sparge, and only taking first runnings.

thanks for the tips.. I didnt think about looking at the procedures for partiguile, and adapting/extracting from there. thank you hex and fcwegnm0b

It really just sounds like you are no sparge brewing. There are a bunch of threads about it on here. But, in a nutshell, yes you need to adjust for efficieny differences. I can't remember what a good rule of thumb is for no sparge efficiency, but it's probably somewhere in the 60%'s.

You could also partigyle the sparge.

Or sparge then boil the wort for a few hours to boil off the water till you get to your target OG.

heheh, thats my thread.

Derp! Sorry for the redundancy. I posted over on your first thread before I saw this one... should pay closer attention to usernames...

Anyway let us know when you brew this... interested to see how you go about it.

Back