Hey man, can you score me a lid, bro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
I'm slowly buying parts for my kegerator, and am starting out with kegs.

I bought four ball-lock kegs off craigslist for $60, but only three of them had lids. I said it'd be fine to take the one without, I'd just buy one somewhere(naively thinking they were about $10 or so). However, the cheapest price I've seen for just a lid is $30, then shipping on top of that. Yeesh!

Does anyone know where I could get a ball lock lid for anything cheaper than that? I'd hate to, but if I don't have any other choice I'll pay the $30.

I'd spend the extra $4.50, but that still doesn't solve my original problem of not having a lid for the other keg. :p Then I'd want to buy another lid, but be tempted to buy another keg. I'd get stuck in that vicious cycle and the garage would be full of kegs in no time :D

Thanks for the link kvh! I owe ya one!

sphericalcamel said:
If that cycle gives you too many kegs, I'll trade you a lid for a bunch of kegs any day.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I'd order the lid for you if you sent me the lid-less keg...but that would defeat the purpose, now, wouldn't it?

www.morebeer.com sells lids also - along with lids that have neat gadgets built in - but they're expensive and currently out of stock.

Aw crap! Another snag! That lid doesn't come with a relief valve. So... uhm.... anyone know where I can get a cheap relief valve? :D

Cut the top off your lidless keg, and the bottom off another one, and weld yourself a 10-gallon corny. Course, then you'll have to start making 10-gallon batches...oh wait, I think we're back in the vicious garage-full-of-kegs cycle again :D

Back