Dark Candi syrup in my dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Fedwell

Reaction score
Brewed my dark Belgian ale over two months ago. A dubbel with some turbinado sugar added at the end of the boil. Initial gravity 1.079. I wanted to make a candi syrup edition before I move to a secondary for the next 6 months. Should I pitch more yeast? The same kind? Safeale 33 Also, do I need to boil the Dark Candi Syrup in water, or can I sanitize the bag and pour it in? Any advice? I wanted to move to secondary at least a few weeks ago, but delivery was way slow on this syrup.

You said sanitize the bag - is this commercial dark candi syrup? When I made my own, the process was bringing sugar / corn syrup to a simmer, so boiling was part of the creation anyway. I would bring the syrup to a simmer to sanitize even if it's commercial, it won't harm the syrup and it buys peace of mind.

However, I would say much higher than 1.080 OG is getting too high for the "style" of Belgian dubbel, you're entering Belgian dark strong ale territory.

Sanitize the portion of the bag that you cut open. The syrup is sanitary already. Don't add more yeast, should be fine. But, Safale 33 isn't really a Belgian strain - would be interesting to hear how your flavor profile turns out.

Yah, I know that it will be beyond a dubbel, I guess the words strong dark ale didn't come to mind. I am thinking of gouden carolous and some very strong beers I once had. As far as the yeast, B3 markets this yeast as having the typical Belgian phenolics. I am experimenting with different dried yeasts, as liquid yeast has been temporarily abandoned for various reasons (mostly living in Hawaii). I guess next time I should just get some from a bottle I like and culture it.

Back