Are beer-in-a-bag kits any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cytosol

Reaction score
I started my first batch of beer about 4 weeks ago; it is currently in the carboy and will likely be ready for bottling next week.

When I purchased my equipment, the dealer sold me a no-boil kit that consted of a primary fermentation bucket, a carboy, accessories, and a beer-in-a-bag kit by Barons beer. This kit was a box that contained a bag of the malt extract in liquid form (not thick like the other ones) as well as some hop pellets and of course, yeast.

I am having trouble finding anything about these kits, since most beer kits seem to be the ones in the can containing molasses-like goop. Do these beer-in-a-bag kits typically yield good results? The beer at this point smells and tastes great even at this unfinished point. I am about ready to start another batch of this same brand of beer (different flavor) but am wondering if anyone else has experience with it.

My first two attempts were Brews(u)cks. That's an add boiling water to a plastic bag sort of thing. And yes, they did.

What you have seems to be just a variation on packing and should be fine. The extract is probably a little thinner to make it easier to work with and they included actual finish hops. That's a step up from the average can kit!

Great, thanks for the info.. I was very impressed with the smell when I added it to the carboy. When I checked the SG a few days ago, I tried a little bit of it just to see how it tasted.. It was great. As it is right now, I could have just added carbonation, chilled it and it would be a nice drinkable beer. I can only see it getting better in the next 3 weeks as well!

Like david_42 says, if you actually have hops in there you're one step above the VERY basic pre-hopped extract/no-boil/canned kits. The next step in the chain would probably be a similar type kit that contains a small amount of steeping grains. To me at least, steeping grains are a nice improvement on a basic all extract kit and still really easy to brew.

I'm using a "beer in a bag" kit called The brew house. I made a lot of mistakes along the way, and still ended up with a drinkable beer. I would never say it is a premium beer kit, but i think it's a step above the malt extracts. I will buy the kit again, and i recommend it to anyone just starting out that wants a good brew the first time out.

:mug:

I visited my local shop and saw The Brew House kits.. I almost picked one up, and after checking them out on the web, they look like a great kit. They are $5 more expensive than the one I got, but I will try one of the brew house kits out next time! Thanks!

Back