Cleaning Keg after it had infected beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
I recently racked a brown ale that was infected with something to a keg. It wasn't hooked up my kegerator or anything.

I don't know what the infection was, but it was very fast acting (within a couple weeks). Tastes sour and the beer is way past what it should have been for final gravity.

I'm just trying to figure out how to clean the keg so I can put it back in rotation and not worry about it. I use my kegs as secondary so want to make sure it's clean.

I guess I can't use bleach. So I could do boiling water which seems like a pain. I have iodophor so maybe a strong concentration of that?

All the o-rings should be replaced. If you think you need something different than StarSan, you can probably use Quat. Rinse it out extra well as it is a head killer.

The reason you don't want to use bleach in stainless is the chlorine can cause the stainless to pit.. and working with bleach as a disinfectant in general sucks anyway. Your iodophor would work, and I'd follow up with a second sanitizer anyway, like StarSan...

Replace ALL of the o rings.. even the ones on the poppets (or replace the poppets)...

I don't use my kegs as secondaries, but I use some Oxyclean for cleaning. I use the scent free variety and mix it with some hot water. You don't have to use a lot, but rinse them really well, followed by sanitizing them.

Since you had a soured batch, I'd probably replace all the Orings in it as a precaution.

Ok thanks. I'll replace all o-rings. a PBW or oxi-clean soak. Iodophor and than star san. That should do it I hope!

Back