DIY wood mash paddle build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaPolice

Reaction score
Just got done making my first mash paddle in preparation for our first all grain batch that my buddy and I are soon to do.
With some tools from school I was planning on doing more to this paddle, but unfortunately the machines were down and so this is a very easy project that most can do.
I first bought a piece of maple from the hardware store for about $20 and around 6" x 60"

I started first by just finding out the size I wanted it and made a rough grid in design with a pencil, and started drawing a design. I decided not to go for the standard straight handle I had been seeing when looking around for ideas.
6790644708_bd51143e73_m.jpg

Next I took a simple jig-saw and cut out the outline of the design.For the designed holes I just took a large drill bit and drilled the interior of the drawing and used the jig saw to carefully cut it out from the inside.
6936763295_36c685c20f_m.jpg

I used some straight and round files to smooth out the rough edges on some of my cuts. I then sanded everything down, starting with around 80grit then moved my way up to 300grit or so.
6936763335_b8416caef0_m.jpg

I decided to Torch the holes with a little propane torch, for contrast, and then lightly sanded them to get a majority of the residue out. I then watered the board and and wet sanded the grains that popped up.

Here is the Finished product, hope this helped.
6792698676_5ea12e041b_m.jpg

6938813209_f648861a60_m.jpg

No finish, you don't want to seal it with any chemicals. All those nasty chemicals leeching off into the mash. I personally left it unfinished/natural, however I have heard of some people sealing theirs with butchers blocking oil (oil that's used to seal cutting boards)...which might be the same as regular cooking oil, but I don't know for sure.

Beautiful paddle sir, truly a work of art. I have often wondered at making a free-form design such as this one for a mash paddle, but was afraid that it would be awkward or difficult to use. What are your thoughts on the this? Do you find it any more awkward than a straight handled paddle?

Now I want to do this. How many brews does a paddle last for? I imagine it depends on type of wood and treatment, but just in general with a quality piece of hard wood.

Love it. If you are planning to seal it I'd try beeswax. Bake it at a low temp and after a few coats you're done.

Beautiful paddle sir, truly a work of art. I have often wondered at making a free-form design such as this one for a mash paddle, but was afraid that it would be awkward or difficult to use. What are your thoughts on the this? Do you find it any more awkward than a straight handled paddle?

Honestly TheWorm and I find it very comfortable and easy to use with the curvature of the handle when stirring in our new keggle. We have not used a straight formed paddle to compare it to, but I support and push anyone who is willing to do an abstract / non-traditional design, makes it more fun overall. Might try and make another paddle even more abstract, will have to see if anyone likes it first.

Back