Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elleric

Reaction score
So I made a pumpkin spice beer (ale with about 3 lbs of pumpkin and about a tablespoon of mixed pumpkin spices). I let it primary for a week, secondary for 2 weeks. I bottled it and let it sit 2 weeks in bottles.

I tried the first one this weekend. It was pretty bad. The beer itself was ok from what I could taste but the nutmeg flavor from the pumpkin spices was so overpowering that it was nearly undrinkable.

Also, there was almost no carbonation; which is something I've not run into before.

So I have heard that leaving the beer bottled for a longer period will blend and mellow flavors. Could this batch be saved by simple allowing it to sit for a few weeks or is this lost?

Thanks!

Ruined? No. For one, 2 weeks is not enough for sufficient carbonation. For another, spices tend to mellow out over time. If it's too overpowering, let it sit for another few weeks and at the very least, I think you'll find it drinkable. A few weeks later may even bring you a very good beer.

Also, if time doesn't cure it and if it's overpowering, you could blend it with another beer (a similar base beer?)

Thanks! I think I'll let it sit for a few weeks... Maybe try one just before thanksgiving. If its still no good at that point I'll let it sit a few more weeks. If it's not good after about 10 weeks I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

Back