Is this safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
Is Nickel plated steel safe to use in wort (acidic) at up to 170F) for an hour or longer?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PZ9ICA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I do Brew in a Bag (BIAB) and would like to keep the bag off the bottom of the kettle when I apply heat. I was looking at various Cooling racks and Steamer racks. The Steamer rack has the advantage of being 2.5 inches tall, which I think is useful for keeping the base over the dip tube.

I am worried that even though it says Stainless Steel, this is from China, and for all I know its Nickle plated Lead, with Arsenic.

Any suggestions on what I could use at the bottom of the pot, to keep the bag off when I apply heat??

Last edited by a moderator:
>.A small stainless steel colander/strainer?

Yes, Thats what it is. But is this material safe to put in the mash where it's exposed to a slightly acidic environment for 1+ hours.
I am wondering if it will leech anything harmful. The Amazon site says it can rust, which seems odd, and worrysome.

I would believe the review that says "not stainless steel." Real SS doesn't need a nickel-plated coating. I would buy something else that is actually made of SS.

Latest posts

Back