For those brewing high-OG beers for the first time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
...don't do what I did and drink virtually all of it in the first few months. Tonight while brewing I found a bottle in the back of the fridge of my second batch ever, an 11% wee heavy that I did last March. I knew at the time that this style was best after at least a few months, but it was so good that I pretty much emptied it out by the end of the summer. Lo and behold, it was unbelievably good!!! I never imagined the flavors would mellow and smooth out like that, especially when my first opinion after a month's conditioning was along the lines of 'geez, that must be an acquired taste'. Without a doubt my 'best' batch ever, just took almost a year to find out. I'd better get crackin' to get a batch ready for New Year's :D

My first barleywine was in Dec. 05. I made only 3 gallons which gave me just over a case of 9% goodness. It has done well with time and I still have about 16 bottles. This years is almost 11% and I'm definately not cracking the first one for quite a while.

skifast1 said:
...don't do what I did and drink virtually all of it in the first few months. Tonight while brewing I found a bottle in the back of the fridge of my second batch ever, an 11% wee heavy that I did last March. I knew at the time that this style was best after at least a few months, but it was so good that I pretty much emptied it out by the end of the summer. Lo and behold, it was unbelievably good!!! I never imagined the flavors would mellow and smooth out like that, especially when my first opinion after a month's conditioning was along the lines of 'geez, that must be an acquired taste'. Without a doubt my 'best' batch ever, just took almost a year to find out. I'd better get crackin' to get a batch ready for New Year's :D

Now that has got to be one dangerous beer to hand out for new year.
Best get a batch of 60 shilling on the go for the early rounds.

orfy said:
Now that has got to be one dangerous beer to hand out for new year.
Best get a batch of 60 shilling on the go for the early rounds.

Who said anything about handing it out?? :drunk:

Brewsmith said:
My first barleywine was in Dec. 05. I made only 3 gallons which gave me just over a case of 9% goodness. It has done well with time and I still have about 16 bottles. This years is almost 11% and I'm definately not cracking the first one for quite a while.

Which one did you send me? I can be patient and let it age for a while if needed, or if this is the '05 vintage I'll crack it tonight.

You have the '05 that has been aged a year. I just bottled the '06. I'll pass that one out next Christmas.

Every home brewers learns this one, even if it takes years and happens accidentally. My first Old Bog Water was so peaty that I thought about dumping it, but three years later ...

i made a barley wine back in november and my home brew guy suggested that i taste it on the first of each month and take notes ... so i have had 2 tastes so far and they have both been overly sweet ... the 100 ibus of hops havent even made their presence felt yet ...

Back