weldless fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
I finally picked up some kegs and started the build. I'm debating on going with the weldless fittings like from northern brewer, and just having the metal shop weld some in. Have any of you had the weldless fittings leak over time? And i'm wondering if i should use a 3-piece valve on the boil kettle so it is easier to get clean.

you're probably right. I think i might as well get the weldless. it will be easier than taking them in to the shop.

I've been reading about using brass fitting to make my own bulkhead. Is brass okay or does everything have to be stainless?

I've been reading about using brass fitting to make my own bulkhead. Is brass okay or does everything have to be stainless?

Some say you should soak them in vinegar and hydrogen peroxide or something to remove lead near the surface, (I forget what, exactly, but someone should chime in or you can search)...

I didn't bother, and just assumed the acidic wort would remove the lead in the first batch.....it's trace amounts anyway...:fro:

Interesting, i would have never thought that. I will search around to see if I can find anything. thanks. edit: didn't find crap. But it becomes a drag to search through thread after thread. I guess i will just try it and see how everything works out unless someone else give me more advise before i make purchases.

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

Latest posts

Back