european kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurCurY

Reaction score
I bought a Euro-sankey keg from the local wine shop empty. I plan on using it for a brew pot. when i got it home and went to disassemble....i realized it is NOT the normal sankey i'm used to. there is no retainer clip, and i beat on it pretty hard to get the valve out....and it just won't budge! am i doing something wrong? Or is it just that stuck?

Well if you are going to use it for a brew pot, I wouldn't worry all that much. Just press down on the vlavle to release the pressure and cut a whole in the top with the spear still attached, then just pull the whole thing out all at once.

I have a 50L european keg as a brewpot. I just hammered a screwdriver at an angle into the valve to release the pressure then cut away with my angle grinder. Worked perfectly.

i'm taking it to the local welder to have the top plasma cut off. I have to clean it out before they will work on it.

well then just drill two 1/2 inch holes in the top near the spear and fill the thing up with water and some soap or oxyclean and let it soak. After it soaks, dump that stuff out.

Is their an alignment notch on it? Just a thought.. Otherwise nail to the valve or drill drain/air hole and drain it..

i looked a bit closer at this keg. I found that the top was a bit mashed....used a drill bit as a router.....and with a skrewdriver and hammer.....it unscrewed. However.....only part way! i'm not sure why it won't come all the way out.....

If it's an alignment notch it should pull out once you have it lined up right...

I just got some European kegs which I am converting to a brew pot and ran into the same problem.

I turned the keg on its side and hammered a screwdriver into the valve to release the pressure. I then pulled out the rubber seal and then pried out the metal piece that is somehow connected to the spring.

Once the piece and the spring was removed I was able to attached vice grips to the top where it is screwed and hammered the vice grips to unscrew the piece to allow for the spear to be removed. This is probably not the best way but it worked for me.

We have made a device that fits into the hole of the keg to hold our angle grinder which allows for a nice smooth circle.

Back