How can I get stopper out of glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LT100

Reaction score
My rubber stopper fell into my carboy. I kept it in the beer and didn't worry about it. Now that I transfered the beer into a keg and cleaned the carboy, how do I get the stopper out?

The stopper is wider than the carboy opening

Slip a coat hanger with a bent tip through the SMALL end of the taper and pull it right out.

PS. Make sure the neck of the bottle/carboy is lubricated with water...just like Steve Miller said "Everything's better when wet..." :rockin:

you could try sticking a racking cane into the hole in the stopper then pull the stopper up until it seals the bottom of the carboy neck and blowing gently into the racking cane. I wouldnt recommend using compressed air or anything with a lot of pressure or you could make a carboy bomb.

I've used the plastic bag in the wine bottle trick before. Works like a charm! never tried it with a carboy though.

Genius!! I am on my first batch and did this same thing. My LBHS was closed and I had my yeast ready to start my second batch. If I could not go from primary to secondary I would be stuck for a day or two I thought. This worked like a charm. Quick and easy. I love this site.

Back