A few noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDirgins

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to home brewing thanks to my wife who got me a Midwest kit for Father's Day. My first batch is a Whiteley Series Double IPA. The directions were pretty straightforward, but then got a little confusing.

"3 days after fermentation has begun, open the lid of the bucket and dry hop the beer by adding 1 oz each of the Amarillo and Cascade hops. Replace lid and airlock."

I have read many comments that say to wait until fermentation stops to dry -hop. Today is the 3 day mark and it's still bubblin' away like mad. Thoughts?

"Bottle 7 days after dry-hopping."
This seems pretty quick to me, and will be the night before we leave on a 10-day vacation. I am inclined to leave it in the primary until we get back, and then bottle. This would add up to 22 days in the primary. I am a little worried because our house is ancient and does not have central ac. Basement is around 70 degrees, but can warm up on super hot days. Will it be ok?

Thanks in advance for any advice.:mug:

Your instincts are good. I'd wait at least two weeks before you dry hop. As far as bottling, your plan is a good one. Don't worry too much about the temp. If fermentation is done, it won't matter much.

If you're worried about it, you could always put the fermenter in a large bin filled with water and then drape an old t-shirt over the fermenter. Make sure the shirt touches the water, thus wicking it up and cooling things a bit. Search for "swamp cooler."

Thanks Shecky, I have it in a swamp cooler already as it has been pretty hot in my neck of the woods lately. Will wait to dry-hop and bottle.

Back