Salmon House's Fermentation Closet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salmonhouse

Reaction score
Ok so I just brewed my first batch of beer since assembling my DIY aquarium controller as seen in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Brewed a stout, OG 1.07 and made a huge starter of Irish Ale yeast, ended up with ~ 15 gallons. I did perhaps not cool too much, because i figured once i filled my carboys I'd lose a few degrees, so long story short, i pitched yeast at about 75F...

Was hoping to ferment this yeast strain @ ~ 64F but it never got down below 72 or so last night... Needless to say by the morning i was closer to 68F but that heater in my room never did kick on and i even had the window open. So it was a little cold for me and the girlfriend. The SWMBO had it written in her face - time to build that fermentation chamber.

Here is the carboys and controller in my bedroom, next to the dog bed:
S3010166.JPG

Well i had started the project before, in hopes of making a walk in cooler. I ended up getting a deal on a kegerator and that project fell by the way side. But today i cleaned out the closet and continued adding insulation and wrapping in plastic.

I by no means feel as though i'm done with this project, but i think it is satisfactory for the task at hand. Take a look. I know its not as elegant as some on here but i think its going to work well, for now. Keep in mind its still a work in progress, just needed something TODAY!

Behind this Salmon colored door off of my back porch:
S3010175.JPG

We see my carboys with temperature controller heater and A/C:
S3010168.JPG

Temperature controller, gotta mount this thing:
S3010169.JPG

My f'd up a/c unit that still works, don't laugh, i got it free off of craigslist:
S3010170.JPG

Not really having to use the compressor yet, just the fan to get that cold air in from outside:
S3010167.JPG

Here is a pic of my ceramic heating unit:
S3010174.JPG

I plan on wrapping the interior in more plastic sheeting, hard wiring a receptacle with a GFI, maybe upgrading the A/C unit and insulating the floor. I then might add more sheet insulation, but maybe not if i find its working well enough as is. I also have a 27 gal fermenter via Stout Tanks, ETA late June!

:ban:

Here's a carboy with the bag removed, you can see the temperature probe taped to the carboy under a piece of foam insulation:
S3010177.JPG

Back